Whether you’re around your backyard fire circle or at a campground, breakfast is one of the most fun & easiest meals to make. Now, we all know the basic ideas: pancakes, eggs & sausage, french toast, etc...
But today I’m going to teach you how to WOW your friends and your taste buds! You can make eggs and bacon, over a fire, in a BROWN PAPER BAG!
I read about this years ago and finally tried it. It was so easy and fun. Granted I did catch one bag on fire, but that was because I was being impatient and attempting to cook over flames. Don’t do that and you’re golden :) Materials:
- Brown paper lunch bags (one per person)
- 3 half slices of bacon for each person
- 1 egg for each person
- hot coals
Ideally, you had a huge fire the night before and have some gorgeous coals simmering under a large log in the morning. If that’s not the case, start a roaring fire first thing in the morning, within about 45 minutes, you should have some nice coals that you can use. Here’s my easy tutorial on how to build a campfire
Kid tested, mom approved!
| | How to:
- Chop your bacon in ½.
- Using one piece of bacon, rub the inside of the brown paper bag with the bacon. Cover every surface of the bag until about ½ to ¾ up the sides of the bag. This keeps the bag from burning!
- Layer about 3 pieces of bacon along the bottom of the bag.
- LIFT THE BAG OFF THE TABLE (I learned this the hard way... actually, my husband how to point it out to me as I was wallowing in self pity because all of the yokes were breaking).
- Crack the egg and gently slide it onto the bacon.
- Fold the top of the bag down 2 or 3 times.
- Punch below the fold with a stick.
- Hold it over hot coals. This will take 10-20 minutes. Once my coals were cool enough, I was able to sit the bag ON the coals... however, this is how I burned one of my bags!
- When the egg looks done (the bacon might be slightly chewy, but it’s still delicious!), it’s time to eat! Tear the sides off the bag and dig in!
Will you be trying this party trick campfire breakfast?