One of my vows is to keep the memory of my father alive. I want my children to know him though stories, laughter, projects, nature hikes, sky gazing, etc. So, I keep him present through my language...AND with sharing his favorite things.
So today, for the first time EVER, I'm sharing his WORLD FAMOUS Orris Burger recipe. Ok, that may be a tad grandiose, but friends from all over the world have eaten Dad's "mini meatloaf" burgers and LOVED them... so that's pretty darn close. His burgers were always plump, juicy, oozing with flavor.
I about fell over the first time I visited a friend's house and her dad served flat pre-made frozen burgers. BLAH! These are simple and OH-SO-SATISFYING!
The other day we were in the mood for burgers, so I pulled out my father's recipe card and got to work.
Of course, I simplified his recipe and used my THRIVE ingredients. I'll provide the info for both ways, in case you're ambitious and like to chop your own veggies ;)
from John Orris' world famous, time-tested recipe
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 2 med yellow onion or 2/3 c THRIVE fd onions
- 2 green pepper or 1 c. THRIVE fd green or red peppers
- 1/2 c sliced mushrooms or 1/2 c THRIVE fd mushrooms
- 2 oz soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs THRIVE beef bouillon
- 1 c cereal (only if not using THRIVE, typically plain cheerios or rice crispies)
- If using fresh vegetables: sautee chopped onions, then add peppers & mushrooms till softened.
- Mix all ingredients well using your hands.
- Make 8-12 burgers (use that slap method!)
- Cook on grill over high heat, about 10 minutes per side.
*note: the cereal catches the grease and is the key to these moist burgers. However, when using THRIVE freeze dried produce, the dried veggies reconstitute by catching that grease. It's really a match made in heaven!
Thanks Dad for the best burgers I ever ate! I'll never match your skill, but heaven help me... I'm gonna keep practicing :)