According to Health Magazine, there are five greens that are especially effective with cleaning indoor air quality. These five give off oxygen and remove toxins like air fresheners and formaldehyde. With childhood asthma and allergies so common, I'm sure every household is looking for effective ways to clean up their act!
- English Ivy. I love ivy because it quickly looks lush as it trails over your pot. Hang it high on the wall and enjoy some living art work! Simply mist it with water to keep it healthy.
- Bamboo palm. Who doesn't love a little tropical oasis in their home? Bamboo grows easily, just make sure it gets a few hours of sunshine and water regularly. Put it in its own container or it will quickly overtake any others!
- Peace lily. Perhaps the most beautiful and effective indoor air cleaner. This white flowering gem takes a little extra care, but removes more toxins than any other.
- Lady palm. Another tropical choice, that grows into a TREE! You've been warned! Easy to care for and resistant to insects.
- Rubber plant. Growing up, our house ALWAYS had rubber "trees". I doubt my parents knew about its air cleaning super powers and it had more to do with the fact that these babies are indestructible! It also had to do with a silly song my dad loved to sing, "an ant can't eat a rubber tree plant, but he had high hopes...". Even the most inattentive gardener will have success with this one!