Guaranteed to deliver the “WOW” factor at any patriotic gathering and shh... don’t tell, but this is the easiest dessert you’ll ever make!
- A pound fresh or freeze dried of strawberries (about 24)
- 16 ounces of white chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons of shortening
- ¼ cup of blue sugar crystals
- wax paper
1. Wash strawberries, leaving the leaves in place. Lay the strawberries in a single layer on paper towels.
*Chocolate will NOT stick to strawberries if there is any moisture on the berry!
**If using freeze dried whole berries, do not wash first! These are DELICIOUS crunchy treats!
2. Place the chocolates in a microwaveable bowl that will not get too hot to touch
a. Put microwave on 50% power (if your microwave doesn’t have a low power setting, check and stir your chocolate more frequently)
b. Microwave chocolate in 30-60 minute increments, stirring and rotating the bowl between each session.
c. Finish heating the chocolate when just a small amount of chocolate chunks remain (typically between 3-4 minutes). Stir chocolate until uniformly melted and smooth.
3. Holding strawberries by the stem, dip the strawberries into the chocolate until at least ¾ of the strawberry is covered in chocolate.
4. Immediately dip into the blue sugar crystals
5. Lay on wax paper and leave until the chocolate hardens
*It’s not ideal to refrigerate chocolate covered strawberries as moisture gathers on top of the chocolate. If possible, make this dessert right before your party and/or leave them in a cool place in the house until ready to eat (I actually put the tray in my air conditioned bedroom for a few hours!).
6. Put on a plate or serving tray and ENJOY :)
This dessert was inspired by this picture: http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Photo.aspx?photoID=428300